No products in the cart.
APPLE MOLASSES CAKE WITH HONEY ICING
Source: A Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones
For the cake
1 ½ cups/250 g light spelt flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon & a pinch of ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon molasses
2/3 cup/150 g soft light brown sugar
2/3 cup/150 ml maple syrup
2 extra-large organic or free range eggs, at room temperature.
2/3 cup/150 g extra virgin olive oil (OTOT mild or medium intensity)
3 apples, grated
A thumb size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
For the Icing
9 tablespoons/125 g butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons honey
1 ½ cups/200 g unrefined confectioner’s sugar
A small handful of almonds roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Sift your flour into a bowl with the cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another big bowl, mix the molasses, sugar or syrup, eggs, and olive oil until you have a deep, dark and even mixture. Stir in the flour mixture and mix again until evenly combined. The mixture should be quite thick. Grate in the apples and ginger and mix well.
- Butter and line a standard 8 by 4-inch/450g loaf pan, pour the cake mix in, and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check from time to time by peering through the oven door. If the top looks like it’s browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Once golden, remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, honey, and confectioner’s sugar together in a bowl until fluffy. An electric mixer would be helpful here, but start off slow or you’ll cover yourself in confectioner’s sugar. If you only have wooden spoon, that’ll do-it’ll just take a bit longer.
- Spread the icing thickly all over the top of the cake, sprinkle over the crushed almonds, and serve with a cup of tea.