No products in the cart.
Chocolate Ripple Pound Cake
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoon water
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup arbequina olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold milk
- finely grated zest of one medium or large orange (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour 10-12 cup bunt pan or line two 6 cup loaf pans with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa, sugar, and water until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl (with the whisk attachment), beat sugar, oil, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until the mixture is thick and pale, 3-5 minutes. Stop the mixer and add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Beat on low speed, scraping the bowl as necessary, just until incorporated.
- Add 1/2 of the milk and beat just until it is blended. Repeat with another third of the flour, the remaining milk, and then the remaining flour.
- Measure and stir 2 cup sof the batter into the cocoa mixture. Stir the orange zest into the plain batter. Pour 1/3 of the orange batter into the tube pan (or divide between the loaves) and top with 1/3 of the chocolate batter. Repeat, ending with the remaining chocolate batter on top.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for about 15 minutes. Remove from pan to let cool
Recipe Adapted from: Alice Medrich